Thursday, January 26, 2012

Passport to Paris

Je ne parle pas francais (I do not speak French)

This afternoon I embarked on my first European adventure heading to Paris with Eric.  The travel was crazy and at times I didn't think we were going to make it but we did! The adventure started by meeting each other at King's Cross Station.  From the start we had problems.  In the huge station we couldn't find each other!! I thought for sure we were going to miss the train to the airport.  But like always everything worked out.  We found each other, got our tickets, are were able to find the train (I did have to ask someone for help to where the train was).  It was a short train ride to the airport and we were successful in part 1 of the trip!

The airport was very easy.  We followed the big groups and were able to make it to the gate.  I did get felt up and down at security.  I think my hair pins set off the body walk through.  We flew EasyJet and the airline was so nice.  No one is assigned any seats and you get to pick where you sit! We were near the front of the line and therefore were able to sit next to each and get seats near the front of the plane.  The flight attendants were so friendly.  They kept saying hello as everyone boarded the plane and offered to help put my bag in the overhead.  It was such a short trip! Comparable to the flight from Madison to Minneapolis.  By the time we got up in the air it was like we were preparing to land.  I slept though for probably an hour (the length of the flight).

At the airport we had to figure out how to get to our hotel.  I knew we were in the Opera district so found a bus and decided to get on it.  I think it was during rush hour because it was a very long bus ride.  The worst part was the bus driving was driving and texting!!! I didn't feel very safe.  We had no idea where the bus was going to stop or how close it would be to our hotel.  It made me very nervous.  Luckily there are maps of the area at about every corner. We were able to use those to find our way to the hotel.  It was about a 15-20 minute walk.  I was so excited and relieved to finally make it.  I felt like I have accomplished a series of difficult challenges.

The hotel is small and quaint.  I suppose it's like a typical Paris hotel, not much room for movement.  Although the bathroom is very nice and I think the water is warmer and better pressure than my shower at my flat in London.

For dinner we walked down a few blocks and ate at a restaurant.  The waiter brought us bread and it was sooo good.  I would have rather eaten the whole basket of bread than the chicken I ordered.  We also got dessert.  We each bought our own because I wanted to be able to try more than one.  Eric ordered a chocolate mousse and I got a creme brule.  They were so good.  I am usually full after the main meal but I'm going to have to get dessert every night while I'm here.

I have a big day ahead for tomorrow.  On our agenda is...
1. Notre Dame
2. The Louvre - just checking it out, not going inside
3. D'Orsay
4. Eiffel Tower
5. Champs Elysees
6. Arc de Triomphe
7. Back to the Eiffel Tower for the night view

It's a big day and I will have a lot of pictures and stories to report back.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment