Saturday, January 28, 2012

An American in Paris

Before we got on the train to Versailles, we stopped for some breakfast/lunch.  I ordered a crepe himalaya (crepe, ice cream, chocolate sauce, bananas, whipped cream) and it would have been a miracle if I didn't get sick.  1. Bananas usually make me sick. 2. Ice cream/whipped cream make me sick. 3. The amount of chocolate sauced used should make anyone sick.  It probably wasn't a good idea but I really wanted a crepe.  For the most part it was good but I wish it was less chocolately, way less chocolately
.  

The train to Versailles was about 30 mins.  It was less than I expected so I was happy about that.  The Palace of Versailles (Chateau Versaille) was so huge.  I could not even believe it.  Upon entering it was a long walk to get to the entrance.  I could tell that Louis never did any walking otherwise he probably would have made it smaller.  At Versaille we were able to get audioguides so in every room we would listen to a short explanation.  After the palace we walked through the Gardens in order to get to the Grand Trianon.  Today was rainy and cold so not the best day to walk through the garden.  The Grand Trianon was also very big and interesting.  I noticed that each room was decorated by a different color.  I started to refer to them as the blue room, yellow room, and then watermelon room.  After 4 hours at Versailles we were both exhausted.  We didn't even think we would survive the walk from the Grand Trianon back to the Palace where the exit was.  (You need to walk through the Gardens in order to get from the Palace to the Grand Trianon).  Unfortunately my camera died as we reached the palace so I took pictures using Eric's camera.  I will have to upload pictures of the palace once I download his camera to my computer.

After Versailles we got dinner at an Italian restaurant.  I have never wanted pizza and pasta more.  As we walked the streets we found this perfect small italian restaurant right near our hotel, the only problem was no one spoke English.  This was our first time that a restaurant didn't speak English.  Whenever we needed something we would have to point or try to explain using our hands.  All in all we got what we wanted.  The only downfall was that we had to order bottled water because we couldn't explain tap water to her.

After dinner we decided to go back to the Eiffel Tower to go to the top.  We got there at 10:00 and there was a very long line.  We needed to get tickets by 11:00 because that is when they stop letting people up.  Surprisingly the line took only 25 - 30 minutes, which was pretty fast compared to where we had started in line.  The tower was amazing.  We went all the way to the top.  We were able to see the Arc D'Triomphe, the Notre Dame, the Ferris Wheel (don't actually know if there's any significance), and lots of other buildings with lights!  I'm really glad we chose to go all the way to the top rather than the whimpy second tier.  

Left on my list of things to do in Paris is...
1. Walk down Champs Elysees
2. See the Arc D'Triomphe

Tomorrow is my last day and then I'll be heading back to London where I really appreciate the fact that they speak English!

1 comment: