Monday, April 9, 2012

The Kaminsky's Take on Amsterdam

Our visit in Venice was short but we did everything we wanted.  Sunday morning we headed to the airport to go to Amsterdam.  There is no direct flight from Venice to Minneapolis so my family had to fly through Amsterdam in order to get home.  They had decided to make it an overnight layover and I joined them.

In Amsterdam we went to the Anne Frank house.  I obviously know the story but it was very interesting to see the places they hid.  We walked through the actual building and saw the bookcase that hid the door leading to the annex.  We saw Anne Frank's bedroom, which was decorated with the magazine pictures.  Then we saw the attic that her and Peter would hang out in.  None of the rooms are furnished because after they were taken to the concentration camps all the furniture was removed.  Otto Frank wanted to keep it that way to show the void he felt.  It was truly amazing seeing the annex and reading entries from her diary along the way.

{Location where Anne Frank hid during WWII for 25 months.  263 Prinsengracht Amsterdam}

That night we went to an oyster bar for dinner except no one in my family even likes oysters!  Justin still ordered a few for himself.  Although I was very hesitant about dinner, it ended up being very good.

{My appetizer - Lobster Bisque}

{Justin's Oysters}

{My Entree - Shrimp Croquettes}

{My Mom's Entree- Expensive Fish but the waiter filet-ed it in front of us and did a very good job}

The next day I headed back to London for two more weeks and my family boarded a very long flight back to the states.  I hope they have a safe flight and will talk with them in 8 hours.  Yikes, long flight!


{Pictures at the I AMsterdam sign- stopped on our way to the airport}

No comments:

Post a Comment